Trip Around The World quilts come in several different styles and date back generations. I am not the creator of this pattern or this method of quilt making, but I have put my own mark on this idea. I've resized it to have minimum fabric waste, simplified the instructions and added a bit more of a modern look to it. There is no cohesion running through this quilt like in many Trip Around The World quilts you might have seen. Instead, anything goes! Choose a color palette and then collect fabric in those colors!
Trippy is an essential pattern for using up width of fabric scraps (42"-ish). I've written this pattern in the usual way, where you gather the required amount of fabrics, and of course you CAN make this quilt in that way, BUT I want to encourage you to give no thought at all to how many fabrics to include and instead collect the right amount of "strips" (42" wide). This is much more fun and encourages you to actually use your scraps or fabrics that are less than a 1/4 yard sitting in your stash. The only rule: They need to be 2 1/2" wide and fit your color palette!
- Pattern is downloadable.
- Skill Level: Confident Beginner
- Skills Used: Strip piecing and straight line sewing
- Speed: Not a fast make, but not a slow one either
- 4 Sizes: 30"x40", 60"x60", 60"x70", and 80"x90"
- 8 illustrated pages.
- Pattern includes a video tutorial for strip piecing
- Pattern has lots of helpful links included (including methods for basting, quilting and binding).
- Use #TrippyQuilt for sharing on Instagram.
- Find the kit page here.
- You will find your download in three different places: 1) On your receipt that pops on screen immediately after purchase with the words "download files" in blue. 2) By logging into your account and clicking the order associated with the download. 3) Your download will also be emailed to you. If you don't see it, check your spam folder.
- Pattern link is only valid for 45 days. Be sure to save the pattern to your device before then!
- You may only download this PDF a total of 5 times.
- PDFs are non-refundable.
- If you don't receive an email, please check your spam folder before contacting me for assistance.
Copyright - Pattern is for personal use only. No duplication or sharing is allowed.
You may sell quilts created from this pattern on a small scale as long as you credit Southern Charm Quilts as the pattern designer.
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I loved this pattern...you can learn so much about color by doing a pattern like this where you play with color scraps. I did a palate of white/cream, soft oranges and lavender. Fun, fast and great results...looks far more complicated than it is. You really need a space to say out the blocks as you sew them to get the color/line flow. I want to use this again with a couple of batik strip packs with limited colors in the blue colorway...think it will be very peaceful and pretty. I'm made the 60x70 which is a really nice throw. The pattern is easy so you can concentrate on color-play.
This quilt is next on my list to make. I have made several of Melanie's quilts, beautiful directions, so easy to follow so I feel certain this one will be no different
I love this pattern. The directions are very easy to follow and Melanie has accompanying videos to help.