I never tire of playing with Dresden plates. While designing Happyfolk, I spent quite a bit of time playing with the center of a Dresden and the shape behind it. Somewhere along the way and hours of play in Illustrator, I tried inverting the inner and outer background colors. I immediately fell in love with the look. It only took a little while longer for them to go from squares and rectangles to half square triangles. After that, a very traditional block emerged and the background was born.
This pattern details a one size version, but there are really endless designs you can make in the background of this quilt just by rotating the block different ways. Play with it and see what you come up with!
A template is provided for the Dresden plates, but if you would prefer a ruler (so much easier), you can find one here. I am using the EZ Dresden Ruler, but you can use any Dresden ruler that requires 20 blades.
- PDF instant download
- Skill Level: Experienced beginner
- Skills Used: Half square triangles and double pointed Dresden, video tutorials included for both.
- Speed: Time consuming
- 1 Sizes: Throw - 64"x64"
- 6 illustrated pages.
- Pattern includes template for Dresden blade, but if you prefer a ruler, you'll find it here.
- Pattern has lots of helpful links included (including methods for basting, quilting and binding).
- Use #HappyfolkQuilt for sharing on Instagram.
- Personalized label found here.
- Kit page available here.
- You will find download link on the receipt page. Click "download files" and save this pattern on your device. You will also be sent an email with download included.
- Pattern link is only valid for 45 days. Be sure to save the pattern on your device before then.
- If you don't receive an email, please check your spam folder before contacting me for assistance.
Copyright - Pattern is for personal use only. No duplication or sharing is allowed.
You may sell quilts created from this pattern on a small scale as long as you credit Southern Charm Quilts as the pattern designer.