I never tire of playing with Dresden plates. While designing Happyfolk, I spent quite a bit of time playing with the center of a Dresden and the shape behind it. Somewhere along the way and hours of play in Illustrator, I tried inverting the inner and outer background colors. I immediately fell in love with the look. It only took a little while longer for them to go from squares and rectangles to half square triangles. After that, a very traditional block emerged and the background was born.
This pattern details a one size version, but there are really endless designs you can make in the background of this quilt just by rotating the block different ways. Play with it and see what you come up with!
A template is provided for the Dresden plates, but if you would prefer a ruler (so much easier), you can find one here. I am using the EZ Dresden Ruler, but you can use any Dresden ruler that requires 20 blades.
- Pattern will be mailed to you.
- Skill Level: Experienced beginner
- Skills Used: Half square triangles and double pointed Dresden, video tutorials included for both.
- Speed: Time consuming
- 1 Sizes: Throw - 64"x64"
- 6 illustrated pages.
- Pattern includes template for Dresden blade, but if you prefer a ruler, you'll find it here.
- Pattern has lots of helpful links included (including methods for basting, quilting and binding).
- Use #HappyfolkQuilt for sharing on Instagram.
- Personalized label found here.
- Kit page available here.
Copyright - Pattern is for personal use only. No duplication or sharing is allowed.
You may sell quilts created from this pattern on a small scale as long as you credit Southern Charm Quilts as the pattern designer.
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Goodness, this is so lovely!! I haven't made it yet but the directions are very clear. A wonderfully written and designed pattern.
I'm very happy myself to get the paper copy of my favorite Melanie pattern. I've been bugging her for it for about a year now.