I am endlessly fascinated with star quilt blocks. You could easily get lost in a rabbit hole of all the different ways to put them together. The Fernweh pattern (pronounced FIEN-VEE, the German word for wanderlust is a star within a star block. The inner portion is the ever-familiar sawtooth star, while the outer portion looks as if it’s bursting to life.
I couldn’t settle on a style while designing Fernweh. So instead, I’ve created the pattern in two different styles of quilts. There’s the style pictured on the cover (version 1), and a reversed style that you’ll see within the pattern.
Because the two patterns are not a “true” reversal of foreground and background, I’ve written them as two separate patterns, both comprising the Fernweh pattern. Simply choose which version you’d like to make and skip to that section.
- Pattern is downloadable.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Skills Used: Snowballs
- Speed: Faster make
- Sizes: 24"x24" pillow, 72"x72" throw, 72"x96" twin/full, 96"x96" queen/king
- 15 illustrated pages.
- Pattern includes a video tutorial for snowballs
- Pattern has lots of helpful links included (including methods for basting, quilting and binding).
- Pattern includes "scrappy backing guide"
- Use #FernwehQuilt for sharing on Instagram.
- Kit page is available here.
- You will find your download in three different places: 1) On your receipt that pops on screen immediately after purchase with the words "download files" in blue. 2) By logging into your account and clicking the order associated with the download. 3) Your download will also be emailed to you. If you don't see it, check your spam folder.
- Pattern link is only valid for 45 days. Be sure to save the pattern to your device before then!
- You may only download this PDF a total of 5 times.
- PDFs are non-refundable.
- If you don't receive an email, please check your spam folder before contacting me for assistance.
Copyright - Pattern is for personal use only. No duplication or sharing is allowed.
You may sell quilts created from this pattern on a small scale as long as you credit Southern Charm Quilts as the pattern designer.
6 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I’m finishing up several projects so I have not started the Fernweh quilt yet. It will be a good one to work on this winter! Love it!! ❤️
I am confident beginner, but this pattern was easy to understand very well written, and I made the cutest holiday wall hanging from it. I really appreciate the hard work the designer put into this one.
I would love to say I have started on this quilt but life has happened as it often does with a surprise wedding and unplanned sicknesses (who plans being sick!?). Every thing about purchasing this pattern went smoothly. I would buy from them agin.
Beautiful quilt with so many possibilities! The pattern is easy to follow and the instructions were thorough. I really had to take time to layout the pieces to be sure the points were facing the right direction! Watching Melanie’s videos really helped.
I think this is a beautiful looking quilt! There are so many options to use your fabrics.
I LOVED making this quilt top. I am gathering up new fabric to make Version 1 as I already made version 2.